Experience emerging art, installation from NONAMEY, Food, Music, and even AI-Generated Tattoos at The Other Art Fair Brooklyn
BROOKLYN, NY, — The Other Art Fair presented by Saatchi Art is set to host its 11th Brooklyn edition May 18 – May 21, 2023 at The Brooklyn Navy Yard. Celebrated for its unexpected take on the traditional art fair experience, The Other Art Fair combines boundary- pushing yet always-affordable artworks with immersive installations, performances and a few curious encounters.
Handpicked by a selection committee of art world experts, the fair will feature 120 game- changing, emerging artists, each representing the future of art.
“Since 2011, we’ve been dedicated to supporting independent artists and fostering an inclusive environment to reframe art and how it’s enjoyed,” says Ryan Stanier, founder of The Other Art Fair. “Unlike traditional art fair experiences, this fair is immersive, evocative, and inspiring. Plus, you’re purchasing directly from the artist. As we return for our 11th edition in Brooklyn, The Other Art Fair joins a robust community during New York Art Week, proudly devoted to celebrating the art world, emerging artists, and making fine art accessible so you can truly experience it.” Art isn’t confined to convention or rule, and how you enjoy it shouldn’t be either. From interactive displays, murals, installations, live DJ sets, a fully stocked bar, and top NYC food trucks, The Other Art Fair Brooklyn has something for everyone.
The Other Art Fair Program Highlights
● “Backstage at the Drag Show” – Front Entrance Installation by Artist NONAMEY– Nonamey’s immersive installation, “Backstage at the Drag Show,” offers a glimpse into the behind-the-scenes world of Drag, showcasing the dressing tables of a Drag King and a Drag Queen. Through this three-dimensional installation made from recycled cardboard, Nonamey celebrates the art form of Drag and explores their own gender expression as a trans, two-spirit individual.
● New Futures Artists – The Other Art Fair continues to break down traditional barriers of the contemporary art world with the introduction of the New Futures Brooklyn Class of 2023. Three local artists are awarded free exhibition space and access to opportunities designed to jump-start their careers.
○ David Zheng, Photographer working primarily with analogue photographic materials and processes, David’s curiosity is shaped by the interaction between the materiality of a photograph, and the constant negotiation between chance and control.
○ Sacha Carlos-Raps, Filipina immigrant and self-taught artist, specializing in stained glass, printmaking and illustrations. Her art practice is her rebellious demonstration against the good immigrant binary and the post-diasporic expectations for “first gens”.
○ Arthur Midianga, Kenyan American expressionist, Arthur is returning to the art world with a vengeance after working on Wall Street for the last few years. Through each brush stroke, his art allows him to become an extension of his ancestral history, amplifying the voices of the unheard.
● AI Tattooing – Evan Ishmael, a visual artist will be pushing the boundaries of art by offering AI-generated tattoos.
● Goodness & Truth Tintype Portraits – Creating portraits in tin that capture the simple pleasures of life in public spaces. With a renewed appreciation for the tactile, you can expect a joyful and interactive experience while getting your portrait taken.
● DJ Sets – Get ready to groove all weekend long with live DJ sets by Brooklyn’s hottest DJs: DJ VAYDA, DJ Grabba Ranks on opening night!
● Friday Night Late presented with Brooklyn Magazine – With live DJ sets and music
from Newtown Radio guests can jump into the weekend with art, music, delicious eats from top NYC food trucks, a fully stocked bar and more!
● The Taskrabbit Installation Station – Get connected with skilled Taskers who can hang your new artwork and help bring your home decor visions to life!
● There’s so much more in-store. Experience performances, installations, and other mysteries unlike anything you’ve seen before.
Thursday, May 18th – Sunday, May 21st
Brooklyn Navy Yard – Agger Fish 63 Flushing Ave, Building 269 Brooklyn NY, 11201
Friday May 19 4pm – 10pm Saturday May 20 11am – 7pm Sunday May 21 11am – 6pmFor more information, and to purchase tickets, please visit www.theotherartfair.com/brooklynAbout The Other Art FairThe Other Art Fair is a global gathering of creative thinkers, game changers and pleasure seekers sharing emerging talent and unforgettable experiences. Set against the backdrop of the world’s biggest cities, each of their fairs is different. The fair combines boundary-pushing yet always-affordable artworks with immersive installations, performances and a few curious encounters. The result is an inspiring, evocative, inclusive and fun event that reframes how art can be perceived and creates lasting connections between artists and art lovers.As the only global art event dedicated to representing independent artists, since launching in 2011 The Other Art Fair has worked with over 3,000 artists from more than 20 countries, and now hosts 12 fairs each year, across the UK, US and Australia. For further information visit www.theotherartfair.com.
About Saatchi Art
Saatchi Art features the world’s largest selection of original art and helps people all over the world find art and artists they love. The online art gallery offers more than 1 million original paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs by over 110,000 emerging artists from over 100 countries. Saatchi Art is redefining the experience of buying and selling art by providing art lovers with free art advisory services and an expertly curated selection of art, while giving artists a convenient and welcoming environment in which to exhibit and sell their work. To discover the world of Saatchi Art, please visit www.saatchiart.com. Saatchi Online, Inc., which operates Saatchi Art, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leaf Group Ltd. (NYSE:LFGR).